Friday, August 25, 2006

An evening with Thirsty Burlington?

In years to come, in the early hours of the morning over glasses of wine, when people recall tales from their travels of excitement, danger, hardship, and sometimes derring do, I will not be joining them. Frankly I'm not suffering. I've spent a delightful week meeting up with family and friends and wandering through New England. My working-class, left wing, hippy crunchy credentials are taking a battering.
I've been to the furthest reaches of the state. Took a boat over to Cape Cod (Provincetown). I had no idea it was the gay capital of Mass (maybe even the globe) but my gaydar was razor sharp and I clocked the likely nature of the locals before the boat left Boston Harbour. "No," said Mary, "look at that man there with his son. He's not gay." During the sail over I was perusing the 'What's on in Provincetown'. The local cab company is called Queen Cabs. Entertainment was a choice of very statuesque drag artists:Thirsty Burlington, Randy Roberts, etc. Somehow I knew I was right. And the guy with the little boy - he was - his boyfriend met him at the other end. The town really started to liven up at about 5pm as the cycling and roller blading drag queens started to advertise their evening entertainment. So a bit too "Priscilla Queen of the Desert" for my liking, but it's always very heartening to be in a place where questioning the status quo and the decison makers is valued.

We also went out to sea with an organisation which is tracking whale migration and were fortunate enough to see a family of three humpbacks. The young male was rolling over and splashing, gloriously showing off. Perhaps Attenborough is right: human and animal behaviour are as one.

3 Comments:

At 7:03 PM, Blogger Mils said...

Andre, Andre, Andre...How many times do I have to tell you? Apart from the freak rainstorm flat flooding incident only good things happen to me now...

 
At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't understand
Has Mandy gone away or something??
Are the whales gay?
Who did the Hurricane blow?

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger orangepeel said...

Squeak once again you've bl**dy ruined it- will you ever learn? Didn't the England game register with you?

I was going to have lots of larks at Millys expense being anon. Eventually Milly would have sussed it out. Have you ever seen the Classic Likely Lads episode. You're Brian Glover

I'll sign off before the urge to swear consumes me

 

Post a Comment

<< Home